Pages

Sunday, October 9, 2011

Belonging



The only people with whom you should try to get even are those who have helped you. 
John E. Southard 

I am a Mormon woman so I am automatically a member of Relief Society. That means a lot of things. Besides being a place where I’ve learned more about the Gospel of Jesus Christ, it’s also been a place where I’ve learned how to serve, how to feed a crowd, good ways to plan menus, a new bread recipe, and some clever crafts. It also means that every time I’ve moved, I’ve had to say good-bye to a circle of friends that have helped me pack, clean and babysat my children while I packed and cleaned some more. It means that every time I’ve moved, I’ve instantly had a group of people to welcome me. It means that when I’ve had babies, members of Relief Society brought me food. When I was sick with mono, they took care of Braeden (and brought me food). When Adam’s dad passed away, there was more food, more love, more service.
 

For all of the big things in my life that have come along, being a member of Relief Society has really mattered. I’m not sure how I would have coped without it.

But there are the small things too. And they matter. They make me feel loved. Make me feel like I belong. Make me feel grateful.
 

A while ago, Jill had some friends coming into town. She asked if I knew anyone that had a booster seat she could borrow for the visit so her friend didn’t have to bring one on the airplane. I told her I’d ask around. And by ask around, I meant send an email to the members of my Relief Society.

After I sent the message but before it got posted to everyone, Jill talked to Janet and was able to borrow a seat from her. When the email went out, seven women responded (some of them within minutes) with either emails or phone calls.
 

“I have a booster seat your friend can borrow.”
 

How can I not be filled with gratitude to be part of such a group?

2 comments:

Jill said...

I love it! And I love Relief Society!

Olivia Cobian said...

This is a lovely post.

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails