Pages

Tuesday, January 17, 2012

Pros and Cons

There are pros and cons of being homeschooled.

Pro:  You don't have to wake up too early.  Mark rolls out of bed and watches Netflix (and eats a bean burrito...his favorite breakfast).  After awhile I call him upstairs.  In his pajamas.

Con: It's a snow day here and Braeden and Emma don't need to go to school but Mark does.

Pro: When you are homeschooled your parents sometimes take you on trips like London, Disneyland, Palm Desert while everyone else is in school.

Con:  When you are not homeschooled, you have to stay home and go to school while everyone else is in school.

Pro: You can do your schoolwork at a desk, on a couch, on the floor, upside down with your feet in the air.  On a boat, with a goat.  (Horace)

Con:  You don't learn how to taunt.  The other night we were playing Qwirkle (which is a very fun game incidentally) and Braeden and Emma were attempting to provoke each other.  "Something something trash, I burn it?" Braeden said.  "What is that?  How does that go?"

Emma said, "I don't play with trash, I burn it?"

Braeden said, "No, that doesn't seem right."

Then they turned to me.  "Mom, how does that go?  We didn't go to elementary school."

"Well, I did," Emma said.  "I went to sixth grade." Accuracy is key to her happiness.

"Not enough," Braeden said, "We didn't learn this stuff."

I said, "Someone says, 'make me' and you say, 'I don't make trash, I burn it.'"

I know I've told them this gem of wisdom before but just like everything else:

1) They don't listen (unless I say "time to eat").

2) They only remember about half of what I teach them.

Poor homeschooled kids.

1 comment:

Olivia Cobian said...

Did you remember to teach them, "I don't shut up I grow up and when I see you I throw up and then your mom comes around the corner and licks it up!" YUCK! Maybe you shouldn't teach them that one...

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails