Pages

Friday, December 7, 2012

Light up the night

I lit the candles.



I set a fancy table.


Last night we celebrated pikkujoulu, which if you're a regular around here, you know that means "little Christmas."  It's our small family Christmas party before Christmas.  It makes sense in my head.

Here are some looks at past pikkujoulu celebrations:  2009, 2010, 2011.

We always have clam chowder.


Two pots full.  You have to have enough + Braeden invited Jadon over and two teenage boys eat more than one teenage boy.  (You're welcome for the tip.  I know all sorts of trivia like that.)

Adam brought home sour dough bread bowls which were divine but not pictured.  Not a lot is pictured actually.  We just enjoyed.  Geri came over, bearing gifts.  We feasted, then gathered in the living room for our "program".

In the past we've been a little more together when it came to the program.  Last night, not so much.  I wanted to play a stirring rendition of "Carol of the Bells" with my handbells but we couldn't find the piano music and it's not the same without the piano music.  I blamed Braeden and he blamed Emma and I don't know who Emma blamed.  I ended up playing the song by ear on the piano and I handed out bells and made everyone participate.  It lacked a little something (chords) but we made up for it with enthusiasm.  How can you go wrong with handbells?  I played the piano (badly) for some Christmas hymns and Braeden and Emma each played a Christmas song on the piano.  I asked Mark if he wanted to do something.  He said, "I think I'm going to do a dress up," and he scampered out of the room.

I don't think I've ever heard anyone use dress up as a noun like that.

He came back as a shepherd.  I asked him if he wanted to tell us about shepherds in conjunction with Christmas and he said no.  Just the dress up.



I hope the shepherds really did have terry cloth to wear.  It looks comfy.

Adam read from the scriptures with music in the background and it was beautiful but I did not cry so there's something of a triumph for me.

That and the desserts:

SEVEN types of fudge.  Salted toffee was a clear winner but I thought the Oreo held a lot of promise.

It was a lovely night despite all our folly and lack of talent.  It's more about being together than anything.  And it was about the light. 

The lighthearted laughing and playing Christmas songs on handbells.

The lights on the tree, the candles.

Remembering why.
Then spake Jesus unto them again, saying, I am the light of the world: he that followeth me shall not walk in darkness, but shall have the light of life.
                                                                                                      John 8:12

4 comments:

Marianne said...

Did you make the seven types of fudge??

Stephanie L Johnson said...

sounds wonderful, enjoy every day, hugs.

thanks for the walk in the NW wonderland

slj

Hannah Stevenson said...

Can I just "pin" this whole post! I loved every part of it.

Whitney said...

You make the BEST fudge!!! Adam gave us some last year and Kelly raves about it.

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails