Pages

Wednesday, December 5, 2012

Organization

It's possible you remember this, when I arranged our books by color.  It has delighted me and been maybe one of the dumbest thing I've ever done.  (Well, probably not.  I do dumb things.)  When we need a book, there's a certain amount of brainstorming as we all try to remember the color of the book.

This is no way to live.

A few days ago, I was looking for a book, Charlie and the Chocolate Factory to be exact. I decided Mark had to read it instead of Old Yeller.  No reason except I like that book and used to tell kids in my class at school that Roald Dahl was my uncle.  I could not remember what color that book was.  I remembered what was on the front cover, but I had to remember what was on the spine.  Rats.

I looked downstairs on the neutral bookshelves.  I looked on the stair landing at the rainbow.  I looked at the two rainbows in the school room.  I looked at the white books in the school room.  I looked at the brown and green and black books in our bedroom.  Repeat, repeat, repeat.

I texted Adam:  Whose stupid idea was it to organize the books by color?

He (perhaps wisely) didn't respond.

It makes me feel a little manic when I lose something so I kept looking and looking and I was going crazy and crazier.  

Until I gave up and gave Mark The Bronze Bow to read.  He said, "Do I have to?"

I said, "Unless you want to read Old Yeller."  (That may be my go to threat from here on out.)

When Emma got home, I told her about the trials and travails of being foolish enough to arrange your books by color and she said, "What book were you looking for?"

I told her.

"Oh.  It's in my room."

She produced the book (which incidentally is mostly white on the spine) but the damage was done.  From now on it's the Dewey Decimal system around here.

Except.

Just for now.


A little Christmas cheer from my bookshelf to you.

Do I have other things I could be doing with my time?  Probably.  (But it's a cute little tree isn't it?)

Speaking of organization, the fabulous Charlotte Louise Dahl was born yesterday.  The newest in a long line of wonderful nieces, she evened the score in my very symmetrical family.  My parents have three daughters and three sons and 10 granddaughters and 10 grandsons.

Congratulations Tabor and Katie and sweet big sisters, Olivia and Ruby. 

9 comments:

Mark Dahl said...

Wrong Thelma. It's 11 granddaughters and 11 grandsons. For a grand total of 22.

Your mom

Thelma said...

Really? Who am I missing? Maybe the problem is I can't count numbers higher than twenty because I don't have enough fingers and toes. At least the symmetry is intact.

Thelma said...

Girls: Clarissa, Desi, Liberty, Carolina, Emma, Lili, Savannah, Olivia, Ruby, Charlotte, Azure.

Boys: Hyrum, Morgan, Braeden, Mark, Ruben, Marcos, Ammon, Omar, Isaiah, Luke, Cormac.

This is why my mother is an accountant and I am not.

Final score: boys 11, girls, 11

Final score: my mom 1, me 0

Enoch said...

Is it just me or does that picture display more of a Valentine's theme than a Christmas theme. I like the color arrangement idea. Maybe a directory as you placed them in said color scheme would be in order.

Thelma said...

Sheesh Enoch. Everyone's a critic today. I decorate with a lot of hearts for Christmas because I'm so loving. And because I love my brothers so much. Things like that.

Marianne said...

I just hope you weren't forgetting any of my delightful children!

Adam said...

When did you do that tree thing? What shelf is that on? Do we still have the sedan?

Sage Grayson said...

I arrange my books by color too! It looks so pretty. I haven't had any issues finding what I need yet...probably because I don't have a ton of books. :)

Olivia Cobian said...

I'm glad the grandchild count was solved. I would not take seasonal decorating advice from Enoch. He maintains that turquoise is a fall color.

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails