Pages

Friday, October 11, 2013

A bad joke gone wrong

When you have cute college roommates (like I did), there are whole apartments full of boys that become your friends.  My sophomore year two boys that frequented our apartment were Eric and Jason.  They were nice and funny and everything you'd want in friends that are also boys.

There was also another boy--and I think his name was Jason too? He liked to hang around my cute roommate Jamee.  One day he told us about a prank he had gotten wind of.  Eric and Jason were planning on giving us a chocolate cake laced with methylene blue.  I didn't even know what that was but apparently it was tasteless and if you ate it, your urine would turn blue.

Ha. Ha. Ha.

Except, we knew about the prank ahead of time.  Besides having cute roommates, they were also clever so we devised a prank of our own.  The boys brought over the cake and we acted appropriately appreciative because, Hey!  Free chocolate cake!

We took a picture of them and they looked smug and triumphant:

We should have a moment of silence for that ugly ugly kitchen.
Then over the course of the next few days, we removed slices of the cake.  When Eric and Jason came over, it looked like we were eating the cake.

We took our own smug and triumphant picture:

I guess it's Rachel and Erin who are looking smug, Natalie is having a banana.

We even offered the boys some cake and they politely declined, "Oh no," they said, "It's for you."  Finally, we convinced Jason to eat a slice.

They had a sort of gleam in their eye but I think we did too.

That weekend, it happened that Olivia was visiting me.  This is the same Olivia who is fearless and can cry on demand.   I can't remember who, but one of my roommates called Eric and Jason late at night.  She was also pretending to be upset and she told them that we were very sick and we needed them to come over.  They arrived quickly with nervous expressions.  We were doing our best worried and somber looks.  We explained to them that we all had this unusual symptom of our urine being blue.  Olivia sobbed.  She exclaimed about how worried she was and she was afraid she was going to die.

The girl can act.

Eric and Jason expressions went from actual concern to sheepish squirming.  We made a big show of comforting Olivia and each other and all the emotional wringing of hands that included.  Finally Eric blurted out, "No!  It's just a bad joke gone wrong!"

And then we all laughed.  (Well, not Eric and Jason)  We pulled out the cake--we had replaced all the pieces except the one Jason had eaten.

Ha. Ha. Ha.

Eric and Jason left in a huff.  They were mad.  I guess being bested in your prank and being pulled out of bed in the middle of the night because your friends are "sick" can do that to you.

But they got over it.  (Like I said, I had cute roommates.)

Here we are, dressed in blue, with blue kool-aid and a taunting sign.  It was about 2:00 a.m.  I was tired.

Rach, Jamee, Natalie, Me and Erin. I love these girls.  We had fun.





2 comments:

Olivia Cobian said...

Ah, youth! I remember you college girls being so grown up and now I look at those pictures and you were just little girls.

Gwilliam Fam said...

I love how you mention we were all so pretty Those pictures are kind of terrifying! Jamee did bring the bulk of the young men our way though, huh! Good times!

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails