Pages

Monday, October 21, 2013

Change of plans

Everything was going along swimmingly in San Francisco.  Adam liked his job.  We'd made good friends in our apartment complex.  We'd started saving to buy a house.  My only complaint in life was that I had been sort of spoiled by our close proximity to Yale campus and now Adam had a forty minute commute (each way) and I wished I could see him more.

All that changed when one day in January, Adam came home and told me that his company was closing their San Francisco office.  No more job.

That, of course, was a blow.

Adam parents generously offered that we could move in with them.  Adam and I appreciated the offer but we were sure he would find something quickly and that would be unnecessary.  While we were praying that Adam would find a job, Braeden prayed that he wouldn't find a job so we could move in with Grandma and Grandpa.

Well, guess whose prayers were answered?

Braeden's.

We moved to Washington on Valentine's Day, a few days before Emma's second birthday.  For as long as I live I will be grateful to Adam's parents for their hospitality.  It was truly a blessing to be with them.  They were welcoming and helped us feel normal when everything was upside down.  Also, it was fabulous for our children to be around their grandparents.

Pumpkin carving with Grandpa Linn

Emma was "helping" Grandpa fix some plumbing.
Grandma Geri, Emma and me on a hike
After months of Adam searching unsuccessfully for a job, I'd think back to how sorry I sometimes felt for myself when Adam was gone all day at work.  I would have given anything to go back to that time.

It was a hard time.  But just like every other hard time in my life, it was also a time of learning. We survived it and I'd like to think we became better people as a result.

1 comment:

Olivia Cobian said...

I'm enjoying these stories so much. What a treasure to have your life's experiences recorded like this (including fabulous photos!).

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails