Pages

Monday, November 2, 2015

Books I read in October 2015

First, I read this last month but I forgot to include it:



Call the Midwife by Jennifer Worth **

This was the book my book club read in September.  It was OK.  I try to like memoir more than I really do.  It's about midwives in the East End of London in the '50s.  There's a PBS series with the same name.  I haven't seen the series but I can see how this book would lend itself to a TV series.  It's more of a stream of anecdotes than anything else. There wasn't much of a plot but historically it was interesting.





All the Light We Cannot See by Anthony Doerr ****

This was our October book club book and I loved it.  So good!  Some in my book club did not like it much, which surprised me.  They thought it was long.  It is long, but I enjoyed every page.  It's set during WW II like most books I've read recently!  It's about a young blind French girl and a young German soldier.  It's mostly a parallel story without a lot of intersection between the characters.  I loved getting a better look at maybe what it was like to be German during WW II and catching a glimpse of how someone could become a Nazi.





Crooked Little Lies by Barbara Taylor Sissel *

I didn't really like this book but read it on my Kindle while I was waiting for other books from the library.  The lies weren't so very little and the characters were whiny and the story was at the same time far fetched and predictable.

So no, I don't really recommend it.





No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails