Pages

Monday, April 17, 2023

Weekend

I don't know if I was in 7th or 8th grade, but I didn't have a lot of friends and I was invited to Tracy's slumber party.  It was a Big Deal, because I was maybe, finally, in the group?

It turned into a bad situation and the next morning I had one desire:  escape.  I went in the kitchen (where the phone was attached to the wall--remember those days?) and called my mom.  I asked her to come and get me.  I started crying.  When I got off the phone, I told the other girls that I was "sick" and my mom was coming to get me.

When we got home, my mom's half eaten cereal bowl was still on the table.  She hadn't finished breakfast.

That's pretty much everything you need to know about what kind of mother I have.

Jennifer Garner said, "I know enough to know when you're in a pickle...call Mom."

I would add and Dad.  

50 years old and I needed my parents on Saturday.  Every time I've called them while in distress, they've said the right things, they've comforted and bolstered me.  They've helped.

It all makes me really grateful and it makes me want to hold the line and pass it on.  The legacies of generations have strengthened and taught and helped.  Their good choices bless my life every day.

I taught Sunday school yesterday.  

It was stressful.

I get so nervous and hopefully I will get less panicky the more times I do it.

Adam is my emotional support.  I wanted to show some videos so I had my laptop.  He helped me get a TV from the library and while we were walking to the room where I was supposed to teach, he kept saying over and over, "It's going to be great."

The good news is that I survived it and the people in the class are my friends (I don't know why I forget that and they seem so menacing in my imagination) and they also make lots of good comments.

Also I prayed a lot and that helps.

We did a FaceTime call with Braeden and Anna and QE.  She cracks us up.  It's just fun to watch her live her life.  

Emma came over in the afternoon.  We had dinner and I taught my lesson again to Emma and Mark (after all that prep and worry, I might as well get some mileage out of it).  Adam and I drove to Salt Lake to see my parents.  They are working on the process of figuring out my grandma's belongings.  It's a lot.  They'll be back at it next week and my sisters and I are going to have a playdate and help.

It wasn't exactly a carefree weekend, but I'm grateful for all the help I constantly get along the way.  My safety nets have safety nets.

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails