Pages

Wednesday, April 26, 2023

Girls

I've been negligent on my blog here, but I think Marianne has been too busy to notice.  Monday was a packed day with no margins.  I had LETRS training at school (the last one!  hurray!), I left that early, still logged into Zoom on my phone and went to Mark's endocrinologist appointment.  I had to stay logged in to get credit and you can't turn down the volume all the way or it disconnects from Zoom.  During the appointment, I had an AirPod in one ear and I was listening to the doctor with the other.  Mark's A1C which is a measure of the last 6 months of glucose levels was 6.1, which was the lowest it has ever been.  That was a celebration.  Dr. Swinyard always compliments me and I always deflect it back to Mark.  It is all Mark who manages things.  

Dr. Swinyard leveled his kind eyes on Mark and said, "You are doing a splendid job at something that is really complicated at a hard time of your life."

I could tell that praise mattered to Mark.

I finished my training about the time that was over so I went to my grandma's.  My mom and dad, Aunt Mary, Marianne and Olivia were there and things were underway.  Mary's daughters arrived so it was the girl squad, which was exactly what my grandma would have wanted.  We were her Girls.

Among other things, piles were created for each grandchild and they were numbered and photographed.  At the appointed time, a group text was sent out and everyone selected their first choice and then there were drawings if there were ties.  

We picked out things for the great grandchildren and took a million trips up and down the stairs.  It took discipline to not want everything.  Sometimes there was something I didn't necessarily want, but I didn't want it to go to DI.  This was my grandma's stuff!  It is precious!  But I kept reminding myself that she is not the random casserole dish or knick knack.

I gratefully came home with some things that matter a lot to me.  My grandma's clock was top of my list and a few other really important things too, like some of her plates.  I got the pink floral sheet set that used to be on the bed one of my sisters and I would sleep in.  Someday QE will sleep under those sheets and I'll tell her about my staying at my grandma's.  We also got some furniture and things that will help feather our Starr Valley nest.

I got home late (for me) and didn't sleep well because I was worried about my mom and the Herculean task of it all.  Also, I think it is pretty emotional, the dismantling of my grandma's house.

Yesterday was back at school with students and I don't know if it was the warmer weather or what but it seemed like the entire school was on one. I wish we could harness that energy and give it to the teachers.

After Mark was done with work, we headed to Liberty's with the intention of helping deliver my grandma's piano to her, but we hit every light and they had the piano all moved by the time we got there.  A random kid walking along offered to help which tells you what you need to know about BYU. 

Clarissa was with us too and we picked up a dresser for her (I say we, but I did nothing except chat with my mom) and delivered it and a couch from Liberty (musical furniture!) to Clarissa.

Mark and I also shared our strong opinions about furniture placement.  You can't be my son and not have moved some furniture or have opinions about it.

We ended it all with a lovely dinner at JCWs.

I drove home pretty tired and I told Mark as much and he blasted Eye of the Tiger, which got me home.  In Joan was a bin my mom had given me of a few more treasures from my grandma.  (Including but not limited to some pans for Pleasant Hill.)

It all leaves me feeling pretty grateful.  I'm so grateful to have a grandma I love so much who continues to bless my life and will for eternity.  I'm grateful for my parents and the team they are that have always been  such a support and help to all of us.  I'm grateful for my powerhouse sisters.  They definitely did more of the helping with all the things than I did and I appreciate them.  This darn job of mine takes up my time!  I'm proud to be one of my grandma's Girls and those two sisters of mine elevate the whole group and make it seem like a pretty nice place to be included.

2 comments:

Marianne said...

Clarissa was definitely counting on you for furniture placement advice! We Johnsons appreciate you!

Olivia Cobian said...

It was wonderful to be with you!

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails