Pages

Tuesday, June 6, 2023

Shane's funeral

Yesterday was Shane's funeral.  It was tearful and very sad.  Adam and Emma and I sang the closing song and my main goal was not to cry and I didn't cry.  I took off my glasses so I couldn't see anyone so that helped.

In addition to feeling sad, I had other feelings too.  I felt impressed by Pam and her boys who all spoke.  They spoke about Shane and their loving relationships.  They told funny stories and expressed their faith in Jesus Christ and a loving Heavenly Father.  They know they'll see Shane again.  I felt impressed by the way they comforted other people. 

After the funeral, there was a dinner in the cultural hall.  I watched Branson nudge Pam towards eating as she was talking to other people.  He said, "Just four bites."

She said OK, but she didn't make any move to eat.

Later, she was sitting at a table talking to someone and Branson quietly set a plate of food next to her.  All three boys are such good and loving young men.  They are a credit to Pam and Shane.

I felt a lot of gratitude for the ward family that mourned with those that mourn.  There was a huge line of people there to express love to Pam and her family.  The funeral started a little late because there were so many wanting to greet them.  A small army of women quickly set up a wonderful dinner for the family and an impressive choir of primary children filed in during the funeral and sang a musical number.

It was a sad day, but it felt a little hopeful too.  It was clear that the same Jesus Christ who conquered sin and death understands how we feel when we mourn.  He inspires good people to serve well.  His gospel truly is what saves us.

(Also, granddaughters.  Pam held her little 9 month old granddaughter and if that isn't healing, I don't know what is.)

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails