Pages

Monday, June 19, 2023

Weekend

Can you go on a family history bender?  Is that a thing?

On Friday I was dutifully putting in a little time cleaning up files on my old computer (I hate boring tasks like that!) and I came across the file of the book I compiled for my grandma Jaynes's 80th birthday.  I had pestered everyone for months to write her letters but it felt worth it.  Some of the letters weren't there and some were in the wrong order, but I pulled out the book we gave to my grandma of all the letters and I typed up what was missing.


I also typed up the notes that the kids wrote.  I love these (and the people who wrote them):




I cried through reading some of the tributes to my grandma.  My mom's letter was beautiful as she outlined some of the amazing things my grandma did for her.  I was reminded when reading Olivia's letter of a song I need to teach QE.  Every letter spoke of her love, support, example, generosity and the fun that she brought to everything.

I want to be her when I grow up.

Once I had compiled the whole thing, I put it on Family Search.  I love having things on either my blog or Family Search.  Fire proof and flood proof.  

Another task I wanted to tackle this summer was organizing the box my aunt Jennifer gave me.  She said, "If you get the house, you get the box."  It was full of photos and newspaper clippings and other random documents and it was kind of a jumble.

I went through everything.  I sorted through things I thought some of my aunts and uncles and cousins might want (and I wanted to get it done before the reunion in July when I will see them).  I put all the pictures in an album.  I made an appointment at the Lehi Family History Center to scan some of the pictures.  I want to make a Snapfish book.  I put all the newspaper clippings in one box and all of the other stuff in another box and put one picture in a frame.

See the messy kitchen in the background?  This is what happens when I get obsessed with a project.

I snapped several pictures and sent them to my family along the way.  I think they're probably glad I'm finished so I'll leave them alone.

I loved this article about my grandpa as a mission president.  


This is from an article about him when he managed Deseret Ranches in Florida:


It was the little details like his familiar pocket full of stuff that made me miss him.

Also, the way he was sitting on this horse.  It was so like him!


These pictures are from their 50th wedding anniversary party.



I loved just poring over the faces of everyone and I love seeing the inside and outside of the house that burned when I was 16.


That is probably why I think about having my pictures in a fire proof location.

It didn't take them long to rise from the ashes.  Here they are and it kind of blows my mind that I now have that kitchen.


I could try my whole life and never look as classy as they do though. (Also, can you inherit a favorite color?  Is my love of red in my DNA?)

This picture is from their 60th wedding anniversary.  My grandma is on the verge of tears and that is where I get it!


I loved hearing her voice in the captions and handwritten notes.  I loved all the pictures she took of her flowers. They reminded me that although she would have rather stayed on their ranch in Nevada, she moved to Virginia, South Dakota and Florida with my grandpa.  Support of him and a desire to serve where called were her guiding lights.

The whole experience left me feeling very grateful.  My patriarchal blessing instructs me to be guided by my happy childhood.  When I think of my parents and grandparents, I feel so grateful that those wonderful people were the architects of my happy childhood.

I miss my grandparents.  Maybe I miss my grandpa Jaynes the most.  He died when I was 1 year old but his influence echos in my life.  My mom told me one time, "He loved you so much!"

They all four did.  What a blessing to know that!  I am looking forward to seeing them all again someday.  Of all the legacies they left me:  Grandpa Dahl's charisma and self confidence, Grandma Dahl's loyalty and kindness, Grandma Jaynes's generosity and support, Grandpa Jaynes's love of learning, the legacy I value most from each of them is their faith in Jesus Christ.  I stand on the rock they planted.

2 comments:

Mark Dahl said...

That was so beautiful, Thelma. You are such a word crafter. Love you.

Marianne said...

This is so lovely!

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails