Pages

Friday, February 2, 2024

Grateful Friday

I have mean girls being mean again.

I think because I dealt with mean girls (one in particular) as a kid, I don't like mean girls.  Also it is super disruptive.

My student who is mostly non-verbal told me yesterday he hated me.  I was going over a behavior chart with him.  If he stopped making shooting noises (because they are making us all crazy) and is respectful (such a low bar), he can earn a break to play with Legos at the end of the day.

So he said he hated me.

I said, "That's OK.  You can hate me.  But if you want to earn a break, you need to stop making shooting noises and be respectful."

So I presented him with a grammar page we would do together.  He said he hated grammar.

I said, "That's also OK.  You don't have to like grammar, you just have to do it."

He looked at me like that was kind of a new concept and then he went ahead and did his work and earned his break.  I already have lots of good friends.  You don't have to like me or school, little darlings.  You just have to do your work.

Despite the mean girls and the unhappy student, I am grateful to be a teacher.

There are many bright spots that illuminate the rest.

I have one student who I just love so much.  I had his brother too.  I know I break into a grin every time I see him first thing in the morning.

I also love my fashionista.  Over the course of several days, she has been asking me my hierarchy of favorite colors.

Yesterday she said, "OK, so I know you like red best.  Then blue, then green, but then what?

"Pink."

"OK," she said, like that was important information to file away.  "What next?"

I was kind of running out of favorites.  I said black.  I said, "I don't really love purple and orange and yellow."

Another girl was lingering nearby (and I just wanted them to go to recess) and she walked away.  She said, "I can't talk to you.  I love purple!"

The fashionista said, "Orange is the worst!"

"OK," I said, "Now go to recess."  She smiled appreciatively because we had just divulged our secrets about colors and left.

Yesterday after school we had a viewing of the movie, Right to Read.  It was pretty incredible and pointed out the truth that learning to read in the Information Age is the most important thing we can teach our students.  It also made me cry.  There is a huge divide racially and socioeconomically.  There is a steep hill to climb because there are many curriculums and colleges that don't teach the science of reading.  

I read a story in the NYTimes yesterday about how students were recovering from Covid.  There was a way to plug in school districts.  I was interested in it and sent it to my kids.  Braeden plugged in Davis and Newport News (where he served part of his mission.)

It haunts me:


My heart breaks for the disparity of it all.  I want all children to learn and thrive.  I remembered last night Mother Teresa saying if you can't feed a hundred people, then feed just one.

I'll keep toiling away in my little spot.

I'm grateful that I have been able to learn more about teaching reading.  I have so much to learn!  But I am here for it!  I will go back every day and try again.  

(Even if they hate me.)

1 comment:

Olivia Cobian said...

Can you tell me how to plug in schools? I'd love to see how Elko County School District rates. Although I doubt Cobian Academy is included.

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails