Pages

Friday, February 9, 2024

Grateful Friday

Grateful to have made it!

Another Parent Teacher Conference week in the books.  I love and adore that the district has the Friday after conferences a teacher work day!  I have high hopes today of all that I will get done.  (Largely unrealistic hopes...)

I had so many parents show up for conferences that I didn't accomplish as many things during conferences that I was hoping for.

It was amazing to see some of them though.  I was not expecting such a great turnout.  I'm grateful for the parents who earnestly ask what they can be doing at home to help.

I'm grateful they share their children with me.

(If you ever want to have a really heartwarming experience, have a group of third graders write a paragraph about their favorite holiday.  Most of them chose Christmas and presents were mentioned, but they talked mostly about loving time with their families and celebrating the birth of Jesus Christ because they love Him.)

It kind of makes me laugh at conferences to look across the table at my students, looking so small and timid.  When parents aren't around there is very little timidity going on.  

I'm grateful for a really fun time I had yesterday.  My WIN (What I Need) group is the second highest group of readers.  We are working on fluency.  I had them learn to read "Whirligig Beetles" by Paul Fleishman.  It's a poem for two voices from the Newbery winner, Joyful Noise.

They worked on it all week.  It was hard.  It had words like gyrating and tortuous.  They had to read together and in rhythm.  We performed for the other two WIN classes.  I wanted to perform for Jamie, but she was gone.  We went down the hall and found Matt.  He was appropriately appreciative and told them they did a great job.

I loved how happy they were and proud of their hard work.  I love that we have a principal now who they were excited to share with.  We were so heady with success we stopped at the office and shared it with the secretaries.  They clapped and oohed and ahhed.

I'll never not be grateful to work at that good school.

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails