Pages

Monday, April 15, 2024

Weekend

Adam and I were both beyond tired on Friday night.  He was even more tired than I was and went to bed earlier than me which has only happened a handful of times.  Sometimes life just takes it out of us!  We also wanted to go to bed early because we knew we'd have a full day on Saturday.

Saturday we left first thing for Nevada.  We had a few little tasks to do around our house there and some things to pick up (including our pressure washer so we could deal with the mess the insane robin has left on our windows).

My mom was gone--as were both sisters--but we visited my dad for a while and borrowed a level for one of our projects.

I did a little weeding outside and it was an extravagantly beautiful day.

Sunday we sang "How Great Thou Art" at church and the second verse sums up how I feel in the yard there.

When through the woods and forest glades I wander, 
And hear the birds sing sweetly in the trees.
When I look down, from lofty mountain grandeur
And see the brook, and feel the gentle breeze.

Then sings my soul, My Saviour God, to Thee, 
How great Thou art, How great Thou art.
Then sings my soul, My Saviour God, to Thee, 
How great Thou art, How great Thou art!

There isn't exactly a forest glade, but there are certainly birds in the trees, a view across the valley, a brook and a gentle breeze.  It is a lovely spot.

All the animal kingdom seems to agree and want a piece of it.

A hawk is very perturbed when we are there and lets us know.  Birds made nests in the sagging boards under the porch roof and then there are the mice.

My dad has been trapping them and we didn't see any when we were there and I'm very grateful to my dad! 

One of our projects was the porch ceiling.  We cleared out all the nesting materials (happily there was no bird actively nesting there) and I pushed the boards up ineffectively with a broom handle and Adam, atop a ladder, drilled screws to put them back into place.

It feels like a grand adventure.  We could be home doing things like laundry, or I don't know...resting...but instead we go there and work together and talk a lot and listen to podcasts while we drive.  We try our hands at many things we don't exactly know how to do and we dream big dreams.

On the drive home, I had a notebook and we made a list of everything we want and need to do there.  

It is such a long list.

We are having fun in the striving.  There's no one I'd rather do it all with.

2 comments:

Mark Dahl said...

I love your post Thelma and I love you and Adam.

Adam said...

Everyone is so kind and helpful when we visit. And I love all of my time with Thelma.

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails