Pages

Tuesday, March 17, 2009

The mission of the United States is one of benevolent assimilation. (William McKinley)


Awhile ago I read this post.

I didn't get it. I didn't get not loving IKEA. Then it occurred to me that maybe there is an ethnic explanation. My heritage is largely Scandinavian (and I don't mean largely because I have large relatives--which I do but that's not what I mean).

Anyway.

Is it because of my lignonberry loving ancestry that I love IKEA?

Because here's what I'm not: Irish. And here's what I don't get: St. Patrick's Day. It makes no sense to me as a holiday. My non Irish mother used to make us non Irish pancakes dyed green for breakfast on St. Patrick's Day. It was our nod to a holiday we didn't get.

I have a basic understanding of who St. Patrick was. I know he died on March 17. What I don't get is why that should prompt Americans to wear green, march in parades and dye their rivers (and pancakes) green.

But I am OK with that. I still have IKEA. Which I understand. I am deadly with an allen wrench. I know my leksvik from ektorp.

And I did pinch every single one of my non Irish, non green wearing family members this morning before they were aware of the date.

You've got to love the assimilation of cultures in America.

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails