Pages

Sunday, September 27, 2009

Full Cupboards

Every Sunday I send out an email to the women in my Relief Society summarizing the lesson. Do they read it? Do they delete it? I'll never know (and that's probably a good thing).

I was late sending out today's because 1) It's been a busy sort of Sunday and 2) I've been mulling it around in my head.

Usually mulling around long enough finally prompts some writing to come out of me...for my own sanity and rest for my mulling-weary brain so here I go...

It was a great lesson (thanks Doreen!) taught about provident living. It was based on Elder Hales' recent conference talked which I loved.

There was one thing said that pierced me though (from a talk by Elder Hales back in 1986...yeah internet!):

Unrestricted by programs and projects, bricks and mortar, the Lord’s real storehouse is indeed in the homes and the hearts of His people.



I started thinking about how my heart could become a storehouse...how is it already a storehouse? I remembered things...trials mostly that have enlarged my experience and empathy and made me if not an expert, at least a person who wants to help. Because I'm acquainted with post-partum depression, unemployment, a loss of a dear loved one, perhaps...hopefully, I have stored in my heart help for others in their times of need. What a blessing that my heart has been thus filled when I (certainly) didn't ask for it.

I'm pretty sure I can't adequately express what I mean. I tried to after church while Adam was heating up leftovers and I was emptying the dishwasher and I struggled along in the tangential way I try to explain things.

Adam said, "So you mean, after a trial, your cupboards are more full than before?"

Yes.

Exactly.

The cupboards of your heart.

Why I married that man. He gets me.

2 comments:

Jennifer said...

Thelma, I loved this so much. You've given me such strength during my trials because of your experience and advice. It's a good reminder of how trials are a blessing. You and Adam are great and we love you.

Heidi E said...

That is a great way to put it! I had never thought about hearts in that sort of way before.

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails