Pages

Wednesday, August 1, 2012

Books I read in July 2012



Dear Enemy by Jean Webster***

This book was a sequel to Daddy Long Legs.  I liked it even more than I liked the first book.  It is also a series of letters but this time, they are letters written by Sallie McBride who is a college friend of Judy, the author of the letters in Daddy Long Legs.  Sallie has agreed to be the superintendent for the orphanage where Judy grew up and where she is now, along with her husband, the patron.  The "enemy" in question is the Scottish doctor at the orphanage that Sallie has differences of opinion with.  The letters are also written to Judy and Gordon, Sallie's boyfriend.  The letters are witty and the story is endearing and compelling and old fashioned and I liked it!



Unwind by Neal Shusterman **

I don't give many stars to this book just because it freaked out my freaky.  I normally don't read books like this for that reason but we were reading it for book club so I read it.  It is science fiction, set in the future in the United States.  There is a law that if your teenager becomes too much trouble you can have them unwound--taken apart and used for transplants.  They insist you go on living, just in a different form.  The teenagers of course feel differently about it.  First, it was compelling.  Then depressing, then disturbing, then chilling, then creepy, then horrific.  It stayed compelling the whole time but I don't think I'll read any more in the series.  I don't think I could take it.




What Alice Forgot by Liane Moriarty****

I loved this book.  It's about a woman who falls and bumps her head.  She wakes up thinking it is ten years earlier.  She doesn't remember her three children.  She doesn't understand how she could possibly be divorcing her wonderful and much loved husband and she doesn't know why relations seemed strained with her sister.  It is the kind of book that makes me remember why I love Adam so much.  I like to read that sort of book.  (I suspect he likes me to read that sort of book too.)

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails