Pages

Wednesday, August 29, 2012

Yoked


Sometimes I get an idea in my head that won't leave until I write about it.

This is one of those times.

Just like everyone else, there are times when I feel hassled, worried, stressed, not enough.  The other day I read in Matthew verses of scripture that I think are probably familiar to Christians everywhere:

Come unto me, all ye that labour and are heavy laden, I will give you rest.

Take my yoke upon you, and learn of me; for I am meek and lowly in heart:  and ye shall find rest unto your souls.

For my yoke is easy, and my burden is light.
Matthew 11:28-30

It struck me as a promise that I could use.  When animals are yoked together, they each pull and share the effort.  (Although in the picture above, it looks like one of those oxen is misbehaving.  I don't know about those oxen...they strike me as untrustworthy.)

Anyway.

When I think of being yoked with the Lord, it feels like a great bargain.  Yes, I still have to do my part.  I have to work and show up and try.  It's just nice to know that on the other side of the yoke is the Supreme Creator.  

Gives a certain degree of comfort.

I absolutely love this:

...wherever you are, whatever your circumstances may be, you are not forgotten. No matter how dark your days may seem, no matter how insignificant you may feel, no matter how overshadowed you think you may be, your Heavenly Father has not forgotten you. In fact, He loves you with an infinite love.
 Just think of it: You are known and remembered by the most majestic, powerful, and glorious Being in the universe! You are loved by the King of infinite space and everlasting time!
-Dieter Uchtdorf, entire text found here

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails