Pages

Thursday, September 26, 2013

Glad I'm a girl

When I found out about the scout campout that is brewing in October for Mark and his little scout troop, I had the same thought I always do at such times, "I'm so glad I'm a girl."

I am 99% sure that it will be raining.  I am 100% sure that it will be cold.

Even besides the whole not-having-to-go-camping-with-the-scouts-in-the-rain thing, I'm glad I'm a girl.  The number one reason is the support structure that women build for themselves.  It makes all the difference for me.

There have been more times than I could ever count that my friends have saved the day.  I tell them.  They listen.  They don't pass judgement.  They don't try to solve anything.  They just listen.

But if I say, "What do I do?" they offer opinions.

When I say, "Did I do the right thing?" they pass judgement.  (Always in my favor.)

It's really pretty wonderful.

Yesterday one of my sisters called me worried about something.  This happens a lot. We call or text with small victories or crises.  It's what we do.

I told her why she shouldn't be worried.

She said, "You are saying all the right things but I'm still a little worried."

I think she felt better though.  Sometimes it's not what is or isn't said. 

It is not so much our friends' help that helps us as the confident knowledge that they will help us.
Epicurus

2 comments:

Marianne said...

I did feel better. Mr. Noorda wanted her to go to Dr. Whimple and she is going today. I love you.

Olivia Cobian said...

I guess that solved the mystery of which sister that was. I'm glad I'm a girl too.

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails