Pages

Monday, September 30, 2013

Books I read in September 2013

This is one of those busy months when I didn't read much.  Also the book I am currently reading is a slow one to plow through so that is part of the trouble.  I read some pretty good books this month though:



Clara and Mr. Tiffany by Susan Vreeland***

This book was historical fiction about a woman named Clara (who was a real person) that worked for Louis Comfort Tiffany.  She was a designer and glass cutter and it was a fascinating look at turn of the century New York City when women were part of things but not really.  I admittedly skimmed a little of the specifics about the glass cutting--because it got a little too specific--but I also learned a lot and feel a new appreciation for Tiffany lamps.



A Hundred Flowers by Gail Tsukiyama***

Set in communist China in the 50s, this book was about a family whose father, Sheng, had been taken away for reeducation.  The family consisted of the mother, the little boy and Sheng's father.  They loved each other and struggled together but then encountered trouble too.  It was a good book and I really enjoyed the characters.  I would have been happier with a different ending.  I don't care if it's realistic, I just want everything tied up neatly in the end...

this is the cover of the book I read as a child
 Island of the Blue Dolphins by Scott O'Dell ****

I read this book to Mark.  Everyone's read this book (except it turns out Adam has not) so you know it is wonderful.  I love everything about it.  I love that it's based on a true story.  I love how strong and innovative she is.  Good good book.  If you're like Adam and have not read it, go READ IT!

1 comment:

Melanee said...

I've not read it either. Somehow I missed all the ones that everybody has read. Like The Great Gatsby. Not sure how it happened.

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails