Pages

Friday, September 27, 2013

Sing a song of seasons

Earlier this week, I had a dream about decorating my house for fall.  I wanted to decorate it (so much so that I dreamt about it) and it was buried in the deep, columned list of things to do.  I don't know about you, but things are pretty busy around here. 

I really and truly enjoy decorating for seasons.  The very process makes me happy.  It's not a Have To though so that's why it kept getting kicked to the bottom of the list.  Finally, I decided it sort of was a Have To.  Here's why.  It gives me pause.  It reminds me of beauty.  It reminds me of the passing seasons.  This weekend is oh so busy.  You too?  It might be easy for me to forget all about the beauty that is everywhere if I keep my nose too much to the grindstone. 

Autumn Fires
by Robert Louis Stevenson (from A Child's Garden of Verses, 1885)

In the other gardens
And all up the vale,
From the autumn bonfires
See the smoke trail!

Pleasant summer over
And all the summer flowers,
The red fire blazes,
The gray smoke towers.

Sing a song of seasons!
Something bright in all!
Flowers in the summer,
Fires in the fall!

So here's my autumnal still life, my singing of seasons:


And then here's my song, the redheaded fashionista who wears ensembles like that to school and cuddles metal goats:

Someone should get that poor child a real pet...he just can't keep it here.

Life is busy, but it's also really good.  Bring it on, weekend.

1 comment:

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails