Pages

Friday, June 20, 2014

sigh

A few days ago, Olivia and I were talking about books our children were reading and I was lamenting the time honored lament around here that my kids won't read things I recommend.

My great sorrow.

Yesterday Braeden found Mark reading Calvin and Hobbes during silent reading time.  He and Emma were scandalized.  "You have to read a novel!" Braeden said.  Then, "Mom, are you going to let him get away with that?"

I have given up long ago.  I'm not going to die on that hill.

Braeden and Emma mobilized.  They both found novels.  Braeden left Hitch out for Mark.  He said it was a great book.  He said Mark would like it.  He also said, "I won't play Heroscape with you until you have read it for at least a half hour."

Mark said, "Whatever."  He left the book where Braeden had placed it.

Emma gasped.  "Are you going to let him get away with that?" she demanded, outraged.

I said, "Whatever," because I've given up.

She said, "You are trashing his education!  I can't believe this!"

I asked her if she'd read Rebecca, the book I've recommended to her.

She didn't answer.


It's all one big lost cause.


1 comment:

Olivia Cobian said...

Ruben also loves Calvin and Hobbes...I love the older kids' indignation.

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails