Pages

Monday, August 25, 2014

Curtains and college

It's been a little over a week in our new house.  We have considerably fewer boxes around.  Things are sort of shaping up.  There are places where I need to go back and organize but at least we can find most things.

Except my curtains.

Have you seen them?

There were some curtains on one window that had a certain "no" about them.  Brown, satiny, beaded, layered, scary.  I had some other curtains I was going to replace the brown confection with.  I just couldn't get to the window because there were stacks of boxes in front.  Saturday we cleared enough boxes away (they were the boxes full of books, so HEAVY) that I could get to the curtains.  I pulled them down and stuffed them in a bag and can't find the other curtains.

No one else has seen them.

I have looked everywhere.  Several times.

I think I'm going crazy.

All day yesterday I would start thinking about the curtains and head out on an expedition through the house to look again.  Losing things is exasperating.

In the evening we had visitors to distract me from my manic curtain search.  It was a welcome diversion.  Marianne, Clarissa, Hyrum, Morgan and Carolina stopped by.  They had just checked Clarissa into her dorm room at BYU (little Clarissa!  suddenly old enough for that!).  Mark and the other boys immediately went to the basement for a Nerf battle.  Mark has been dying for a Nerf battle.  I heard bumps and bangs coming from the basement.

And was grateful for a basement. 

And cousins.

Talking to Clarissa, I felt the bittersweet feelings of an ending and a beginning.  I could empathize with her sisters sending her off.  It was hard to have Marianne leave for college.  I am also excited for Clarissa.  Adam and I were talking recently, when we were driving by the Y on the mountain in Provo, about how much we'd loved BYU.  The difference between high school and college was like the difference between a dentist visit and a trip to Disneyland.  I'm happy for Clarissa.  I'm also happy for me that I live close by.  I told her to call me if she's lonely/homesick/needs anything/wants to go shopping.

Today's a big day around here.  Mark and I are starting school and the Jorgensens are coming. 

It's a good day to be a Thelma.

(Except where are my curtains?)

3 comments:

Olivia Cobian said...

Did you find them yet? I wish you'd included a picture of the brown confection.

Geri said...

Missing curtains must mean a trip to Ikea and meatballs for lunch.

Stephanie L Johnson said...

did you get them found and put up???

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails