Pages

Friday, August 1, 2014

What I read in July 2014



The Rosie Project by Graeme Simsion ***

I really liked this book.  The only reason I give it three rather than four stars is because the language was a little rude.  (I always think that's unfortunate.)  The Rosie Project is about a guy's quest to find a wife and his quirky way of going about the task.  It made me laugh and it made me happy.


Joy for Beginners by Erica Bauermeister **

This book was OK.  The premise was about a woman who had survived cancer and challenged her group of friends to each complete some diverse task that would be hard for them personally.  She picked the tasks.  It was a good beginning but then it read like a formulaic series of short stories.  Each woman confronted her task, thought it would be too hard and then ultimately triumphed.  Meh.



One Summer by David Baldacci **

This was a feel good book, part romance and part conquering challenges.  The characters weren't completely believable and it wasn't terribly compelling, but it was OK.



Interpreter of Maladies by Jhumpa Lahiri **

I didn't finish this book, which is a collection of short stories but maybe I'll go back to it when my life is less stressful.  The stories were interesting but also a little depressing and I needed something more escapist and less dismal.


Mr. Penumbra's 24 Hour Bookstore by Robin Sloan ***

This book was just what I needed.  It was a crazy, improbable but fascinating story about a mysterious bookstore, an eccentric cult, a 500 year old mystery, Google and long time friends.  I can't even describe it.  I liked it though and I kept wishing while I was reading that someone else was reading it too so we could talk about it all.

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails