Pages

Wednesday, July 4, 2018

Independence Day

Sometimes I get irritated by all the anger and malice on places like Facebook about politics.

Other times I feel super grateful that we live in a place where people can have different opinions and speak their minds and even be rude if they want to.  No one's going to be punished for disagreeing and that is a blessing.

Disagreement is our birthright.  (Let's just be nice about it?)

Pleasant Grove can do some things really well and one of them is the 4th of July.

Sunday we walked over to the canyon and watched them bring the little flag up the street.

not my photo--see the photo credit watermark

That's the "little" flag, Little Betsy.  The entire thing fits in the blue field of Big Betsy.  And that is a steep street.  The bagpipe players were the real MVPs.

The streets were lined with people wearing red white and blue and little kids waving flags.  There were people on motorcycles, in military vehicles and a firetruck.

Today we celebrate.  Adam's brother Scott and Lisa, Scott's friend, are here staying with us.  My beloved friend Stephanie is in Provo.  She's joining us today too.  There will be the neighborhood breakfast, hot dogs on the grill and the best possible place to view fireworks--our deck.

This morning, by the dawn's early light, I watched the flag unfurl and heard The Star Spangled Banner sung.  I was standing on my front porch.



After I went to sit on the deck and I was admiring the view of the temple which also fills me with gratitude for our country--freedom of religion.

That's when I heard the planes.  They flew over the canyon but then circled around and flew right over our house.



Pleasant Grove knows how to do the 4th of July.

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails