Pages

Friday, May 19, 2023

Grateful Friday

Sometimes being at school just delights me.

We are focusing on multiplication fluency now that testing is done.  I had a student at my desk, trying to pass off her 4s.  I would ask her a fact and if she didn't know it right away, she would say, "Hold the phone!" and put her hand up while she thought about it.  A tiny person yelling "hold the phone!" is way more entertaining than you would think.

We also tried out a new game Miriam told me about.  You go fishing and you have to answer multiplication or division questions to get bait.  I set it up and they were each playing on their computers with my computer cast on the screen showing the overall game.  It had me as a player of the game too.  That thrilled them and they wanted me to play too (pleasant and present).  I didn't know how to play, because I've never been any good at video games.  These kids know how to use video games like they know how to use a refrigerator.  One of my girls said, "Follow me, Teacher!  I'll show you how to do it!"

I loved that too.

I encountered a small group of second graders in the hall during my lunch.  One was the little brother of a student I had a few years ago.  Every time I see him, he says, "I know you!  You were my brother's teacher!"  

Every time I acknowledge the truth of that statement.  He said, "I hope I'm in your class next year."

I said, "Me too!"

A girl with him said, "Wait, your third grade?"  

I said, "Yes."

She said, "Will you be here next year?"

I said, "Yes."

She said, "OK then, I'm in your class."

The third girl was not so easily swayed (although none of them get a choice in the matter).

She said, "Are you nice?"

Sometimes more than others, but I said yes.  She threw her arms around my waist and said, "Then I'm in your class too."

I said, "All the third grade teachers are nice."  They all looked at me with high suspicion.

I walked away from them as they were planning excitedly to be in the same class and it made me look forward to August with its freshly sharpened pencils, bright new folders and pristine name tags on desks that may or may not last the week.

I'm grateful for schoolchildren.

I'm also grateful for my friends.  The aides let us know that they are available to help with whatever we need.  I had a few copy making and organizing jobs for them.  I also sent a plea to have them come and help us practice our song.  During our prep, 5 aides came to my classroom and listened to the wonky lyrics I wrote for Janelle and they are willing to sing with us.  Some of them had mouths set in sort of grim determination, but I was very grateful for their help just the same.

Also I am going to have Emma and Clarissa help me with it this Sunday.  They are the two best singers I know so I am going to utilize that resource!

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails