Pages

Friday, February 13, 2009

Another dream...gone

Lately (sporadically) I've been going to the gym in the 7:00 hour. It's a good time to go because my kids are either still asleep or just waking up and aren't likely do to the same amount of damage to the house as they would if I left them later in the day.

Another perk of going then is the friendly little knot of people that are also at the gym at that time of day. They are downright jovial. They call out robust greetings to me and everyone and I try to smile but I'm mostly busy rubbing sleep from my eyes.

The other day I told Adam I wanted us to be like them when we're older and he's retired. There's one couple in particular that I admire. They have a shiny little car with a license plate cover that says, "Happiness is Being a Grandparent." They always look dapper and they are particularly friendly and chatty.

Today I realized that the woman had creases in her pants. She had ironed them. Her exercise pants had been ironed!

Forget it!

Who am I kidding? I'll never be like them. I'm never that friendly and cheerful let alone in the 7:00 hour. I'll never have a shiny little car that stays very shiny for very long. And I'll never ever iron my pants with a neat little crease.

I know my limits.

I came home and consoled myself with a chocolate covered cherry. After my Christmas time apprenticeship with Janet I made some for Valentines Day.



(They do incidentally make you feel better when you've had a blow to your self esteem and dreams.)

Let me know if you need some.

1 comment:

Olivia Cobian said...

I need some chocolate covered cherries. I just wanted you to know. I'll send you some saltines in exchange.

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails