Pages

Tuesday, February 17, 2009

The Girl is Ten


Emma makes me glad I have a daughter. We're a lot alike. We have the same brown eyes, we both like to draw and write and read. We both like to sequester ourselves alone in our bedrooms.

We both like a long hot bath.

There are differences too. My hair's curly and hers stubbornly won't hold a curl. I grew up sandwiched between two sisters and she's between two brothers.

Some of the things I love most about Emma are the ways in which she's better than I am. Maybe I feel like I'm compensating for my own flaws by raising a daughter that will make up the difference in the world.

In honor of her ten years, here's a list of ten ways Emma outclasses me:

1- She can swim underwater like a fish.

2-She can crochet (thanks to my mom).

3-Emma can (and has been known to) stand up to bullies.

4-Sickness rarely slows her down.

5- She writes poetry.

6- Emma can get by, cheerfully, on little sleep.

7-Her handwriting (when she tries) is better than mine (when I try).

8- She has a dazzling imagination.

9-Emma remembers lines from movies, quotes and jokes.

10- She doesn't care what people think about her...I wish I could bottle and sell her confidence (or at least borrow a little of it).


Happy Birthday Emma Jayne!

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails