Pages

Wednesday, September 1, 2010

Not to Brag...

I used to think that spiders were a part of Halloween decorations because spiders are ugly and Halloween is ugly.  It's a natural pairing.

Since living in this lovely corner of the world, I realize that maybe spiders are part of Halloween because in the fall, spiders move in.  I'm not sure where they spend the rest of the year.

Yesterday Mark came into my room with a nervous expression.  He said, "Remember that spider?  It's still in my room."

I went in his room and couldn't find it.  I lifted his mattress, I looked in the corners.  I told Mark if he saw the spider again to tell me and I'd come and get it.

One of Mark's defining characteristics is that he doesn't hold anything in his head for more than 30 seconds.  He forgot all about the spider.

Last night when Adam and I were walking up to bed, Mark's spider was sitting on the stairs.  It was big, several inches in diameter.  And ugly.  Adam took a step backwards and I stepped over the spider to the school room for a weapon.  The closest thing I could find was a box of crayons.  I smacked the spider.  It was briefly stunned then started running around like a crazy spider.  Adam took another step back.  I walloped the spider again, this time with more enthusiasm, then I picked it up and flushed it.

Adam said, "I feel a little bit sick now."

While it embarrasses me when my children are afraid of spiders, it makes me just the tiniest bit happy when my husband is afraid of spiders.

Adam:

is smarter
is stronger
is taller
is funnier
has a better sense of direction
is more outgoing
understands computers
is more patient
always beats me at Scrabble
is a better driver
can stay up late and still be charming
is more educated
can do math in his head
has more earning potential
is a more creative cook
knows more
is a better story teller
is more rational
knows who directs movies
and
can start the lawn mower on the first try


BUT I AM NOT AFRAID OF SPIDERS!

That delights me just a little bit because I will take what I can get.

(And the thing I really love about Adam?  If I were afraid of spiders, he would have killed it for me.  He wouldn't have liked it, but I know he would have done it.)

1 comment:

Marianne said...

There are two things I must clarify. But first there is something I must say: I have just greatly enjoyed catching up on your blog. With school starting I've lost my daily Thelma's blog fix. It might have to be a weekend thing. O.K., my two things. First, was the spider really that big or was it an exaggeration? Second, all this time I thought you could beat Adam at Scrabble. What gives?

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails