Pages

Thursday, September 30, 2010

In Braeden's Shoes

"Before you criticize someone, you should walk a mile in their shoes.  That way when you criticize them, you are a mile away from them and you have their shoes."

Jack Handey

 


I watch Braeden leave every morning in the drizzly darkness.  And I'm glad I'm not him.

Yesterday Braeden's (brand new) shoes were stolen from his P.E. locker.  Sad.  He learned one of those lessons you don't really want your children to have to learn but they need to anyway:  you can't always trust people.  Middle school is not for sissies.

When I pick him from school, I watch him walk doggedly across the grass to me, heavy laden with his backpack.  I hated junior high.

I wonder what it's really like to be him.

Braeden was playing Runescape on the computer.  Mark and Gavin came clunking upstairs smelling like boys and the outdoors.  They interrupted whatever errand they were on--likely retrieving a weapon from Mark's room.

Gavin said, "Wait, Mark, I want to watch your brother for a couple of minutes."

Mark enthusiastically agreed.

They sat and marveled and asked questions until finally they remembered their former mission.

"Good-bye, Braeden," Gavin said.

"Good-bye Awesome Person," Mark said, halfway down the stairs and back outside to boy-dom.

"Yeah, Braeden," Gavin called upstairs, "You rock!"

Braeden.

I wonder what it's really like to be him.



post script:  my faith in humanity is restored...Braeden found his shoes

2 comments:

Liberty Johnson said...

Thats so sad that Braeden lost his shoes. I'm so glad he got them back. I know how he feels. Junior can be pretty hard sometime, but High School is a lot better, at least for me.

P.S. This is Clarissa.

Marianne said...

Braeden, you rock.

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails