Pages

Tuesday, December 14, 2010

The Best Sort of Boys

Gavin and Mark, engrossed in a video game at Alfy's

Mark thinks we should adopt Gavin.  It would be fine with me (although his mother might not be willing to part with him).

I thank my lucky stars that Mark has Gavin for his friend/neighbor/partner in crime/adoptive brother.

I love the complicated games they create and the rough and tumble way Mark and Gavin play and argue and yell and forgive and adore each other.

Perhaps they're an acquired taste though.

Once, Stephanie (Gavin's spectacular mom) was talking to another friend at book club.  This other friend was complaining about the "wildness" of her youngest boy.  Stephanie said, "Maybe it's something about the youngest...like Gavin and Mark."

This other mother, who knows Mark and Gavin, looked horrified.  She said, "Oh no!  He's not like them."

I say, too bad for him.

They are passionate boys.  They tire out their mothers.  And teachers.  But I have a feeling they're going to turn out OK.

Lately, I've noticed on several occasions that Gavin, who's older than Mark, has been trying to civilize him a bit.  It delights me.  Gavin tells Mark softly and earnestly what he's doing that's wrong and how he should behave instead and Mark seems grateful for the advice and changes his ways.

The wildest colts make the best horses.

1 comment:

Olivia Cobian said...

Do you think, maybe later, Mark could give my boys a few ideas on how to straighten up? They're kind of small and mostly sweet now, but they're growing and there are THREE of them!

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails