Pages

Monday, December 13, 2010

The Highs and Lows

Sometimes the pressures of parenthood get compressed into awful moments where I don't know what to say and how to comfort and how to make things better.

Sometimes my kids make me laugh out loud and I can't believe how lucky I am to be the one sitting next to them and benefiting from their dazzling humor.

Sometimes my kids make me so angry/frustrated/disappointed/tired that I feel like making a paper chain counting down the days until they go to college.  Can I make it that long?

Sometimes I take a moment to read a Christmas story to them nestled on the couch with arms and legs filling all the empty spaces and I think there's nowhere I'd rather be, ever.

Sometimes I feel all these emotions within the space of hours or minutes and I want to ask them for a little time to sit down and catch my breath.

But that never happens.  It isn't what I signed up for.  (I should have read the small print.)

To paraphrase a quote I used to have hanging on my fridge though, "Life (with my kids) is like pizza, even when it's bad, it's good. "

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails