Pages

Tuesday, December 28, 2010

Giving In to the Geekiness

Adam gave me this book for Christmas. 



That man loves me.  I am already on Chapter 2 and I would be further if I only had time.

I love the weather.

When I was happily reading my new book on Christmas day, I considered two things--1) Adam knows me well and 2) I think I've finally jumped in with both feet.

I'm a nerd.

A weather nerd.

It's really interesting though.  In my brief reading I learned how Seattle compares to NYC and Miami for annual rainfall (37 inches for Seattle, 47 inches for New York City and 56 inches for Miami).  Seattle gets a bad rap because of the grey skies and misty days.  I learned why we have such mild winters...not simply because of the ocean like I always thought but because the Rockies and the Cascades block the cold air.  Fascinating, eh?

I've also been reading why meteorologists are notoriously wrong around here (but apparently are getting more accurate).

I can't wait to read more.  I'm not sure why I find it all so enthralling.  Maybe it's because of my agrarian ancestry.  Maybe it's because weather almost always involves maps and I also love maps.  Whatever the reason, it's good stuff.

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails