Pages

Thursday, December 2, 2010

My Little December Tree



 I know I'm not alone.  We are all going a little crazy this time of year.  My mind raced all morning with all the To Do on my list.  I was frayed and flustered and frazzled (and I can't think of any other applicable words that start with f) but finally a bit calmer when I lay it all out to Janet on the phone while I loaded my dishwasher and folded laundry. She understood, and feeling understood is a wonderful feeling.

Then I was taking my daily therapy session walk with Stephanie and we compared notes on our days.  I wasn't the only one with a busy day.  What she had planned for the afternoon wasn't humanly possible.  (The admirable thing about Stephanie is that she smiles amiably anyway in such cases.)  I volunteered to pick Gavin up from scouts and we decided we might survive.

Might.

Picking up the car pool, I chatted with another mother.  We were herding cats gathering kids towards the parking lot and she said to me, "I am ready for this day to be over...but it's not over...it's not over..."

Motherhood and December and school age children.  It's like a tornado every day.

I feel a little like Charlie Brown.  Sometimes I wonder what the point of it all is besides making us harried and hassled and hounded (and I can't think of any other applicable words that start with h).

Charlie Brown: I guess you were right, Linus. I shouldn't have picked this little tree. Everything I do turns into a disaster. I guess I really don't know what Christmas is all about.
[shouting in desperation]
Charlie Brown: Isn't there anyone who knows what Christmas is all about?
Linus Van Pelt: Sure, Charlie Brown, I can tell you what Christmas is all about.
[moves toward the center of the stage]
Linus Van Pelt: Lights, please.
[a spotlight shines on Linus]
Linus Van Pelt: "And there were in the same country shepherds abiding in the field, keeping watch over their flock by night. And lo, the angel of the Lord came upon them, and the glory of the Lord shone round about them: and they were sore afraid. And the angel said unto them, 'Fear not: for behold, I bring unto you good tidings of great joy, which shall be to all people. For unto you is born this day in the City of David a Savior, which is Christ the Lord. And this shall be a sign unto you; Ye shall find the babe wrapped in swaddling clothes, lying in a manger.' And suddenly there was with the angel a multitude of the heavenly host, praising God, and saying, 'Glory to God in the highest, and on earth peace, good will toward men.'"
[Linus picks up his blanket and walks back towards Charlie Brown]
Linus Van Pelt: That's what Christmas is all about, Charlie Brown.


I bought this little tree to remind me.



It makes my heart happy.

And hopefully it will remind me that I DO know what Christmas is all about.

I do.

And it is tremendously wonderful.

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails