Pages

Tuesday, February 8, 2011

The Difference Between Mothers and Daughters

A few years ago, I got an idea for a story I wanted to write.  On confident days I called it an idea for a novel.  On fraidy-cat days I called it ridiculousandnevermindforgetIsaidanything.

I have a lot more fraidy-cat days than otherwise.

And I've been busy.

So my idea has mostly remained just that...an idea.

With my homeschooling roster depleted, I thought maybe I'd pursue the idea.

Maybe.

When my parents were visiting in January, I told my mom the idea one day while we were driving across the Snohomish Valley.  She said, "I like that Thelma.  You should write it.  That's a great idea!"

So I felt a bubble of confidence.

Maybe I would.

Maybe.

It's scary and uncomfortable because there's this invisible editor that sits on my shoulder while I write that tells me it's all really quite preposterous and I should stop wasting my time.

I decided to take courage and my laptop to my kids' piano lessons.  I'll sit in the car without a book to read, and I'll write.  I'll have no distractions and no way to escape the editor.  She'll just have to deal with it while I write.

Yesterday, Sarah, our inestimably wonderful piano teacher who gives candy to her students, came outside to chat.  (She's also my friend.)  She noticed the laptop and said, "Are you blogging?"  In a bizarre and uncharacteristic burst of confidence, I said, "No.  I'm working on a novel."

As we drove away, I told Emma, "It makes me so nervous to admit I'm writing.  It feels ridiculous.  I don't know what I'm doing."

Emma said a few encouraging, of-course-you-can-Mom things then she asked me what my story was about.

I told her.

She said, "That's it?  That's the whole story?"

"That's it."

"That's kind of lame."



I've heard of a face only a mother could love.  Apparently there's such a thing as a story idea only a mother could love.

I'm still going to write it, by the way.  I'm just not going to tell Emma any more about it.  Or let her have dinner.

(OK, I'm kidding about that one.  Barely.)

4 comments:

Jennifer said...

Thelma, I think that's so wonderful! I wish you would have told me at the airport. I would have given you a hug specifically for that. Way to go. You are such an inspiration.

Janet said...

Oh Thelma . . . try and focus on the encouraging stuff she said before she dashed your hopes on the pavement. Ouch. :) I'm sure she didn't mean the "lame" part . . . or maybe you just didn't explain it thoroughly enough. :) At any rate, KEEP WRITING and thanking Heavenly Father for such a wonderful mother!
:)I can't wait to read your novel.

Leslie said...

Thelma, if I know anyone who is capable of writing a novel it is you! I love reading your blog and know you have a great gift. Also, I'm pretty sure that I've read some wonderful books that, had I given a brief outline of the plot to a middle school-aged girl and not let her read it, would have gotten a less than enthusiastic response. Hope that makes sense...I can't wait to read your book! :)

JoLyn said...

Huzzah! Thelma, I think you're such a talented writer! Working on a novel now that you have a little more time seems like the natural and obvious thing to be doing. I know what we'll be reading for book club as soon as it's published. Please stick with it.

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails