Pages

Thursday, February 24, 2011

Snow Day

Like the child of the Pacific Northwest that he is, Mark was appalled by the weather in The Banks of Plum Creek.  It's about when the Ingalls lived in Minnesota where the summers were hot and the winters were bitterly cold.  Mark said several times, "Why do they live there?  Why would anyone live there?"

We like weather a little more mild.

There are things you can count on around here.  Rain is one of them.  Grey skies are another.  Every once in awhile this strange bright orb is in the sky that makes us all squint like moles and scramble for our sunglasses.

And then sometimes, this weird white substance floats around and school is canceled.  Because we don't drive in this stuff.



I was thrilled that it was a snow day at 6:15 when I climbed back into bed.  I was even more excited by the prospect of the evening activities canceled.  An evening at home!  What a gift!

Then I remembered that snow days have to be made up.  Think of us mid-July when we're still in school.

Then I remembered the wet piles of snow clothes and the red cheeked children wanting hot chocolate when they come inside.

In the balance, I'll take the snow though.  Variety is the spice of life and there's only so much rain that can fall before it dampens all my joy and moss grows in my hair.

Besides, snow is a little bit magical.

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails