Pages

Tuesday, February 15, 2011

Valentine Review

It's hard being the only girl. After Emma left for school, I saw this sweet little pile.

She can't spell Marianne, but she's very darling.


I gave up years ago getting my children to make Valentines.  Getting my boys to write their names that many times was easier than childbirth but harder than potty training.  On her own, Emma made Valentines for her cousins far away.  (I'll send them/I'm sorry they'll be so late/we love you anyway.)
 
I really want to know what's inside this one.




In the afternoon Braeden told me he hates Valentines but he was going to make some.  I said, "No one's making you."  But he did anyway.  So that's sort of sweet too.  Mark said, "I'm not making any."  Which was fine too.  It would torture me more than it would torture him.


There was a reward for Emma's girlish charms though.  Adam brought her home a bouquet of white tulips.  It's not all bad being the only girl.

And speaking of girls. Braeden said, "All the cute girls were really dressed up at school for Valentine's Day and all the boys pretended not to notice."


Then he had a distinct gleam in his eye and said, "But we noticed."
 
This alarmed me a little bit.  I'm not sure how I feel about that little gleam in his eye.


The seven course meal was a triumph. I like being married to Adam.

It was also an opportunity to remind our children which fork to use when:


Any time a meal begins with chocolate, it's a good day:



The appetizer (brought by Adam's mom, Geri):


she called these stuffed prunes wrapped in bacon (they were delicious!) "cockroaches" which distressed Mark a little
The soup:

cream of spinach
The salad:

my absolute favorite:  caprese


The palate cleansing sorbet:

sorry...blurry

The entree à la Adam:

Steak Oscar.  Steak and crab meat and asparagus and Bearnaise sauce.  I'd never had it before...I hope I will again.

The dessert:

sea salt brownies with Cynthia's incomparable homemade caramel sauce (she gave me some leftovers from the Valentine's party and I put it to GOOD use).

The cheese course:

aged extra sharp cheddar from Ireland, Cotswald cheese with chives and Biscoff cookies

Tonight I'm going to Relief Society and I have no idea what my family is going to eat.  Perhaps this blog post will comfort them.  See?  Sometimes we eat well.




4 comments:

Jennifer said...

Wow. I've said it before and I'll say it again, I really wish we lived closer to you guys. Especially in February. That all looked so amazing.

Marianne said...

Wow! I've never even had caprese and it is your favorite. I'm jealous.

With 4 girls around here, we had lots of celebrating. But one of my favorites was from a boy--Hyrum wrote this poem.

There was a new girl down the road.
I hopped right down there like a toad.
I thought that my love would never stop.
She made my heart POP!

Olivia Cobian said...

We really enjoyed our Valentine's Day meal of beanie weenie pot--by candlelight. Next year we're coming to your house.

Susie said...

Simply amazing Valentine feast!!

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails