Pages

Monday, April 4, 2011

Crusts and Loaves

What's not to love about General Conference weekend?  I love feeling full of goodness and light and inspired to do better.  I love the time lounging around with my family.  I love the traditions we've created around the weekends...we make Finnish rye bread which has nothing to do with anything except we like it.  Also we get together with the Jorgensens on Saturday night so I also get a feeling full of Janet goodness and light.

I want to remember every thing I hear but I know I won't.  Often when I read the talks later, they are completely new to me somehow.  (Should I be admitting that I'm such a bear of very little brain?)

When President Eyring spoke about service he said something that struck me and keeps rolling through my mind.  Because I know it's true.  He said that God will bless us when we serve.  If we offer a crust we will be given a loaf.

On Friday night, Jill and I offered a crust to Stephanie in the way of a painting party.  I think I got several loaves back.

Stephanie had a flood and her house is in disarray.  All the flooring is torn up and she decided to take the opportunity to repaint.  We promised to help her.  For hours that seemed to go by very quickly, we painted and laughed and (since we all three have sixth grade daughters) gossiped about who is the most crush worthy sixth grade boy (I had no idea...I don't think Emma does either.  Emma?  Tell me I'm right?).  We groaned about all the painting and snacked and teased each other.  Have I mentioned laughed?

Weary and sore and paint splattered Stephanie drove us to Skinny Dip and treated us to some frozen yogurt.   Tired as we were and as late as it was, we laughed and talked some more.

There is something indefinably wonderful about friends.  It is terrific to be united in a worthwhile goal.  And it is amazing that when we do offer our crusts, we have a loving Father who blesses us with loaves.

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails