Pages

Tuesday, April 5, 2011

How To Lose A LOT of Weight

I love the book Organized Simplicity.  I was so convincing in singing its praises to my mom that she bought one for each of my sisters and SILs.  (Then she sent me a check for the price because my mom is like that.)

Marianne told me to keep telling my mom how much I like books.

There have been many, many, many books and magazine articles written about decluttering.

Here is my advice: make it a pleasant experience.  It makes it much easier...and more likely to be successful.

1. Don't get overwhelmed.

Divide your rooms amongst months or weeks or days if you're really an eager beaver.  Doing one little bit at a time helps you focus and when you focus, you notice things you had become numb to.

2. Let time do the work for you.

Back in December, I turned all the hangers in my closet backward.  When I wear something, I turn the hanger back.  Without even thinking about it, I have come to realize what I'm wearing and what I'm not.  In June, everything with a backward hanger is going away.



3. Don't feel guilty.

It is painful for me to waste money and sometimes I don't want to get rid of things that I spent money on.  I feel guilty if it's perfectly good.  It's not doing me any good (or making me feel any less guilty) by taking up space though.  Let it go.

4. Find a worthy recipient.

I love seeing my children's old clothes on my nieces and nephews.  It is easy to give something away when you know it is appreciated.  If you find a good charity for all of the things your sisters aren't interested in, that helps.  Considering how you are blessing someone else's life with the dress that never fit you quite right makes it easier to pass on.

5. Separate your memories from your stuff.

We have stuffed animals around here.  Too too many.  There's a bin in my boys' closet filled with stuffed animals.  Inside is the Donald Duck I got at Disneyland when I was growing up.  I've hung onto it because I loved that trip.  I don't need the Donald Duck inside a bin in my boys' closet to remind me that I loved that trip though.  I hope Donald makes someone else happy.

6. Involve family members only in moderation.

Sometimes you need helpers...like when you're wondering if their clothes still fit or if they're still interested in reading a stack of books.  Sometimes, they are no help.  More often than not, they will never wonder what happened to the random/broken/never-played-with toy.  (But will be upset if they see you getting rid of it.)  Be sneaky.

7. Finally, prevent future clutter.

Marianne taught me this:  an elephant for a quarter is only a good deal if you have a quarter and need an elephant.  I am addicted to finding a bargain and it is hard to pass up a good buy.  I try not to buy anything that I don't have an immediate use (or place) for.  Also, I try to remember the sting of getting rid of past unwise purchases.


Taking boxes out of your house, boxes full of things you no longer need but that someone else may love, is a fabulous feeling.  It reminds me of how it felt as a child when winter was over and I no longer had to wear heavy snowboots.  Light and free.

It's the best way to lose A LOT of weight (and still get to eat chocolate).

9 comments:

Karey said...

This is such a great post. I hope you don't mind, but I'm doing a post on my 40 bags in 40 days project that I'm doing with my sisters and sisters-in-law and I'm going to link this.

Love that your mom sent you a check. That's just how my mom would be. And the hanger trick is flat out brilliant.

Thanks for posting this!

Linsey said...

These a great tips. The backwards hangers is just genius!

Donna said...

Very timely for me as I've been decluttering various hot spots in my home. Thanks so much!

Suzanne said...

This is brilliant! I am pretty darn good at getting rid of stuff all the time, and not bringing in new stuff that I'll just get rid of in 6 months anyway. But I have never been able to put it in words like this. You put all of these very wise points in very clear to understand terms. You are so right!

I have never tried the backwards hanger thing. Never even thought of it! That is true brilliance.

Christie said...

I got really excited that you were actually going to tell me how to lose weight. Because I need to do that.

AND I also need to purge my closet. Thanks for the idea. Love the backwards hanger thing.

Lauren said...

I love the hanger idea! I never would have thought of that.

crystal said...

I love the hanger idea!

Rachel said...

Hey Thelma! I found your blog! These are some GREAT ideas. I think my closet will definitely be losing some weight. You and Marianne are wise women!

Lynn said...

Well said. Not just good ideas-- great ideas-- but well said.

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails