Pages

Tuesday, April 12, 2011

How To Plan A Menu

I can't take credit for it myself (but I don't know who I should give credit to).  Someone, somewhere gave me this idea and I think it's a good one.

First write a list of your recipes in categories.  For example, you could have a chicken category, beef, pasta, seafood, soup, salad, pork, vegetarian...you get the idea.

Then, get a blank calendar page.

Assign each day of the week a category.


Change your mind and cross things out.  (This step is optional.)

Using your list, fill in the calendar.  For example, if you've assigned chicken recipes to Monday, write down a different chicken recipe for each Monday.

In cooler months, you may include a soup category while summer may contain a salad day or a cook-out-on-the-grill day.  It's very adaptable.


In a matter of minutes, you'll have the entire month filled in.  If you're like me, they'll be plenty of crossing out and switching but I love having a general idea for the month.

7 comments:

Karey said...

Great idea. I love having a meal plan, but have never done a month at a time.

Thanks!

Rocky Creek Valley Farm said...

Love it. Especially the cross out parts! A girl can change her mind!

Christie said...

Okay, this is just absolutely brilliant. I have the HARDEST time planning a menu. This is going to save my family all the take out we've been eating lately due to my bad planning. You are a genius! I love it. Probably my favorite how-to idea this week!

Suzanne said...

This is great! I do this too. My kids' favorites are a toss up between "Breakfast for dinner" night and "pizza" night. I also read somewhere from someone who did popcorn and smoothies every Friday night. Totally cool! My goal is to eventually add side dishes to the menu, kind of like school lunch menus.

I love this post!

Clarissa Johnson said...

My favorite part of your menu is the part that says GONE TO NEVADA!!! I'm so excited for that!

Cares and Mimi said...

This is so great!!! I usually write a grocery list and then plan a menu for the week from that list. This is much more organized and 'long term' plan that can free up some time. And easily adaptable if changes need to happen. Love this!

Juli said...

Love this.

I used to do a two week one (because that's how we're paid) but I love the month long thing.

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails