Pages

Friday, April 22, 2011

Weight Lifting

When Stephanie and I started running under Jill's patient tutelage, we ran for 60 seconds the first time, then walked, then ran again.

It wasn't easy for my non running self.  But we were on the Couch Potato to 5K Plan and we kept at it.  Every time we'd run, Jill would tell us the new schedule for the day.  Every day it was a little bit more.  When we ran our first 10 minutes a few weeks later, Stephanie and I remarked how much easier it had become to run, in not that much time.  It's amazing how our bodies adjust and strengthen when we coax them along.

There were several talks at our recent Stake Conference about strength.  There were analogies drawn between physical strength and spiritual strength.  It all made a whole lot of sense to me.  You don't get stronger without being challenged.  I've tried to teach my children that when their math was hard.  It's a difficult lesson to accept.

Because we don't like hard things.

One speaker said (and I'm paraphrasing) that when we're presented with a challenge, it's like the Lord is handing us a dumbbell.  What are we going to do with it?  Are we going to complain?  Curse God?  Feel sorry for ourselves?

Or are we going to accept the challenge?  Are we going to recognize an opportunity to be strengthened?

Some of the most memorable, sacred and meaningful experiences in my life happened when I was the most troubled.  When I was handed weights to lift that were too heavy.  In such times when I didn't make the conscious choice to be humbled, but was humbled by the enormity of my need, I have been strengthened.  I have been lifted right along with the heavy weight.

So now I look at the less cumbersome weights I've been given.  I look at the ones that don't devastate me, but annoy me.  I look at challenges I just want to oust.  What if I change my perspective?  What if instead of looking at them as an obstacle, I look at them as the resistance I need to make me stronger?

As Easter approaches, such a wonderful, happy holiday, I think about the reason my troubles have been lightened in the past.  Because of Jesus Christ, because of His atonement and gospel, I am strengthened.  I don't understand how it works.  But I know that it does work.

And I'm grateful.

I'm grateful for opportunities to become stronger.  I'm thankful for help along the way.

Happy Easter.

May your baskets be full of good chocolate (not the waxy kind) and nary a Peep in sight.

Because, ew.

2 comments:

Katie said...

Thanks for this. It's something I really needed to "hear" today.

Olivia Cobian said...

This is so good. My kids and husband love peeps and some of them (even blue ones!) will make their way into our Easter baskets, but not my mouth.

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails