Pages

Thursday, August 4, 2011

Books I Read in July...sort of

I think my brain is turning into a black hole.  Should I be concerned about that?

I know I read a couple of books in July that I can't remember.  Absolutely can not remember.  They were library books.  I returned them when I was done.  I think I liked them?

This is why I record here what I've read.  Because I can't remember.

I don't know what to do when I can't remember a book I finished a few weeks ago.  Start hiring an in house nurse so I don't forget to turn off the stove?

Here's what I do remember reading.

And maybe it pushed everything else out of my brain:



The Battle Hymn of the Tiger Mother by Amy Chua

It gave me a lot to think about.  I completely recommend it.  If for no other reason, you'll pat yourself on the back for your lack of cruelty towards your own children.

Also, though, if you're like me, it will cause you to make an assessment of yourself.  And self assessments are usually good unless you realize that your brain has become a black hole (see above).

We discussed this book at book club this week so I've been thinking about it all the more.  And I've been thinking about mothering too.  Which occupies about 90% of my thoughts anyway which may explain (but also makes me nervous) why my brain has become a black hole (see above).

Here's what I think:

We all want the same thing:  happy, responsible, self disciplined, productive children.  There are loads of ways to go about achieving that goal.  And I am not completely convinced one way is superior to the next.  When you consider the varying personalities of parents and children and add free agency into the mix that the children possess, it's hard to see a no fail method that works for everyone.

I went away from my book club feeling just a little bit sad.

Many of the women, who are good good women, good mothers with good children, commented that they wished they were different.  They wished they'd done more.

I strongly believe they did their best.  They are doing their best.  I think most of us are.  It's important to look for ways to improve.  It's important to seek inspiration through prayer.  It's important to examine ourselves and what's working and what's not.

Then I think it's important to hold our heads up and keep going.  Keep trying.  Keep parenting the best we can.

And be grateful for the learning experience of a lifetime.

1 comment:

Olivia Cobian said...

Today on our way to Salt Lake we had to turn around because I wasn't sure I'd turned the stove off. I had, but better safe than sorry. Happy Anniversary, by the way!

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails