Pages

Friday, August 5, 2011

Happy Anniversary to Me

Yesterday was our wedding anniversary.  I spent it with Mark and his friend, Gavin.  Stephanie, my friend and Gavin's mom, is at Girls' Camp with my girl, Emma, so that's why I've had Gavin.  (Are you following all of this?  Because there will be a quiz later.)

Adam spent the day on Orcas Island with seven of his favorite 14 year olds, at scout camp.

And we weren't together for our anniversary.

Which was sort of sad but I love that I'm married to a man that goes with our son to scout camp.  (I'm glad I don't have to go to scout camp...I had the better end of the deal with Mark and Gavin.)

My two young mates and I went to the zoo.  There are a lot of places I wouldn't want to take Mark and Gavin.  The symphony, a glass and china shop, or really any retail experience in general all come to mind.  They're typical boys like that.

But I think Mark and Gavin were made for the zoo.



They have energy and curiosity to spare and besides that they were very amiable.  (Helped along by a mix your own Icee.)



First, I laid down the law.  "I have two rules," I told them as we were crossing the parking lot to the zoo entrance.  They eyed me with long suffering faces.  I said, "You have to stay with me and you can't frighten any small children or animals."

"That's it?" Mark asked, "That's all the rules?"

"Yes."

"So we can do anything else?" Gavin asked.

"Yes."

"We can build a rocket and blast into space?"

"Yes."

We pored over the map and charted our course.  I made sure we hit everyone's wish list and then I was delighted by how sweet Mark and Gavin were to each other.  You don't instantly think sweet when you think of Mark and Gavin but when they're not yelling at each they are incredibly kind to each other.  Gavin's favorite animal is a penguin and Mark insisted we see the penguins first.


They loved the penguins.  And I kind of think the penguins loved them right back.

Gavin's summer bleached hair and Mark's red hair reminded me of cinnamon and sugar.  I guess I was the toast.


Mark was desperate to go to Zoomazium, an indoor place where you can run and jump and climb, and Gavin said we had to do that before we went to BugWorld.  "And," he added, "If we don't make it to BugWorld, that's OK."

Every single time I turned around they were by my side.  They were obedient and mannerly and all around pleasant.

(It was just the teeniest bit shocking.)

Also, they both have philanthropic tendencies.  They were highly affected by all they read about conservation and plied me for change every time they saw a slot for a donation to help save the animals, no matter what animals needed saving.

I love how concerned they both look.

Later in the day, kind Jill took them swimming while I had a meeting for Cub Scout Day Camp.  (I would tell you about it but you wouldn't believe me...let's just say that in the event someone happens to die at camp, I know what to do.  And that is contact the camp coordinator.)

After swimming, we came home and I was done for.  A long tiring day.

On my doorstep there was a gift from Janet.  Dear Janet.  She knew it was my anniversary and that I was missing my husband and she went to my favorite bakery and picked up my favorite desserts (plural).

Mark was immediately curious.

I told him it was because it was my anniversary.

He looked troubled, then his lower lip got wobbly.  He burst into tears and wrapped his arms around my waist and buried his still wet from swimming head into my side.

"I didn't know," he sobbed, "I didn't get you a present."

I asked him if he knew what an anniversary was.

He said, "Not really."

I told him it wasn't usually a gift giving occasion but Janet knew Dad was gone and so she gave me a present.  Mark was still mournful.  "And Braeden's gone too...and Emma...on your anniversary."

I promised him it was OK because I had him.

And that is true.

(And the chocolate cake from L'Artisan helped a bit too.)

2 comments:

Marianne said...

I don't know why this made me cry. Maybe because I was thinking about Latter-day Saint parents going off on adventures with youth or scouts and their friends and family watching their kids and I'm thankful for the ones who watched mine. I thought of you on your anniversary

Olivia Cobian said...

So sweet. I love Mark.

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails