Pages

Tuesday, August 23, 2011

Not for the Faint of Heart

This week we're involved with cub scout day camp.  I debated about whether or not to blog about it.  Kind of the whole, "if you can't say anything nice, don't say anything at all" thing.

But then there's Mark, who's pretty exuberant.  He was sort of in heaven all day long.  Archery!  Fishing!  Cooking! (and by cooking I mean eating)  I asked him how he liked Citizenship and he said, "It was great."

I am not fooling myself.  He said that because the teacher of citizenship was the one who may or may not take his starving little post-camp self through a drive-thru.  (Is it just me or do we do that a lot?)

There were a few things that got me through the day besides the smile on Mark's face.  There was the "Day Camp" song Janet sent the night before camp started to get me "pumped up," seeing my friend JoLyn, being visited by other cub scout leader friends during lunchtime (commiserating), and this boy:

Blurry taken-from-a-distance-with-my-phone sort of picture...they asked the Boy Scouts to lead the opening flag ceremony.

Braeden was my helper in Citizenship.  He is cheeky, sarcastic, always hungry, opinionated and bossy.  In other words, he's 14.  He was also my superstar knight in shining armor.  He made me laugh a lot, fetched things I needed, carried heavy loads, helped kids fold flags, supplied interesting trivia and told jokes to cub scouts on command when I needed him to.

He's one of my favorite people in the world.

3 comments:

Marianne said...

You're a latter-day saint!

Eric said...

Ohhh! I am so glad you ended up with such a wonderful assistant! That worked out well! Dare I ask if you got rained on?

Janet said...

Oops, Eric's off having his own adventures--that previous, wordy comment was mine. :)

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails