Pages

Friday, August 12, 2011

Old School

A long time ago (16 years), in a land far away (OK, here, in Seattle), Adam bought our green Saturn. 

It was the first new car I'd ever driven.  It was shiny and fancy and I loved it.  Adam tried to teach me how to drive a stick shift but our tender young marriage couldn't handle that so his sixteen year old sister, Megan, taught me instead.

It went much better.

The green Saturn was our chariot and took us everywhere we needed to go.  We took it on many road trips and grocery store trips and everything else kind of trips as well.  We drove our babies around in car seats.  We blared an Enya tape loud to subdue Braeden when he wailed.

That little baldy in the driver's seat?  Braeden.

I tell Adam (often) to get a new car already but I will be a little heartbroken when he actually does.  Because that car has been through a lot with us.

Yesterday we went to Lake Sammamish, hosted by the gracious (and graceful) Stephanie.  It was an actual for real and true sunny day.  I wish I had photographic evidence to show you (since the sky is gray again today) but I was too dazzled and stunned by the sun that I did nothing but languish.  I had to get Braeden home to his volunteer lifeguard shift so I texted Adam to come and get me (since I had ridden with Jill and didn't want to disrupt her sun-soaking reverie).  I didn't want to inconvenience anyone and sort of ended up inconveniencing everyone but what can you do?

(Besides the pool had to close due to a maintenance problem but I won't go into all that.)

Because I'm writing about the Saturn, remember?

We piled our family in, gangly children and all.


It was maybe a tight fit.

Adam, that dear man, stopped to get me a diet coke at McDonald's and got the kids apple pies.  They thought he was a dear man too.

The kids smelled like kids who had been swimming in a lake all day.  There was a lot of shifting and jockeying for position and knees to the back from long legged children.

But it was really sort of nice to all be there cozy, together.

I thought, this car isn't so bad (remind me of that next time Adam takes the van to scout camp and leaves me his decrepit jalopy).

But really, the reason the car isn't so bad, is because this handsome man was behind the wheel.


With him by my side, we can keep that car for another 16 years.  (Not really, Adam, I'm exaggerating for effect.)

"I would rather have a crust and a tent with you
than be queen of all the world."
		--Isabel Burton to her husband Richard Burton, the 19th century explorer

1 comment:

Olivia Cobian said...

What a sweet post. I'm proud of how long you have had that dear car. It's even a year older than my skirt! Why don't you and Adam host an Old Car Party? The Saturn deserves the party & I hear they're a lot of fun.

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails