Pages

Friday, September 16, 2011

The Admiration Of My Children

A while ago, Braeden and Emma were grumbling to me about Mark and all of his typical little brother-ness.

I told them that my little brothers used to be pests sometimes (I'm looking at you Enoch) but then they all grew up and now they talk over my head (literally, they're tall) and I try to keep up with them (literally, they have long legs).

I said, "Someday, Mark will be taller than you and cooler than you."  (These, of course, are not things I can verify for sure but they worked in the context of the conversation.)

Then Braeden and Emma started talking about how all of my brothers and sisters are cooler than I am.

What?!?

I demanded to know what they meant and they told me about all the ways my siblings are preferable to me.  I would write them but in case my siblings read this, I don't want them to get more conceited than they already are.

Emma finally conceded the point that I do have a good phone.

Then Braeden said Enoch does too.

Fine.

***

Last night, after ruminating over it for weeks, I decided it was the moment.  Time to move the family room furniture.  The complete angst of three offspring cascaded over me.  We don't want to/it won't work/we need Dad/why are you so crazy were among some of the comments.

"Of course we can!" was my response.

And we did.

While I was rearranging and gathering up Wii remotes to put into their home, Braeden said, "Mom, I have never seen you play on the Wii.  I've never seen you use a Wii remote.  Do you even know how?"

I reminded him of Wii fit.  I reminded him of when we first had the Wii and had it password protected to curb their obsession.

"Oh, yeah," he said, "I just can't imagine you sitting on the couch, playing a game."

***

So the point to all of this?  Besides my bruised ego?  My kids don't think I'm very cool.  I'm OK with that.  Because I realize that if phones and Wii playing are their gauge, maybe it's not that important.

Besides, if I'm going to play second fiddle (or 6th fiddle?), Marianne, Olivia, Enoch, Tabor and Ammon are pretty good heights to aspire to (literally, they're all tall).



A year ago today, I wrote this.  Today's been two years.  We love and miss our Grandpa Linn every day.  And remember him fondly.

2 comments:

Marianne said...

I want to hear how cool I am!

Megan said...

I don't play Wii. Ask my kids about my adult size fit when I couldn't find the pause button. I was screaming there wasn't one when they informed me it was B. the word "Pause" and "B" don't look the same to me! Never tried playing again. My phone is dying and old too....so, you are pretty much cooler than me.

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails