Pages

Thursday, September 8, 2011

Books I Read in August

First, I remembered one of the books I read in July:



Major Pettigrew's Last Stand by Helen Simonson***

I liked it and I remembered that I read it.  (So that's a bonus.) It's set in England so satisfied all my anglophile tendencies.

Then there was a bleak spot in my August reading.  I read and didn't particularly like:





Beachcombers by Nancy Thayer*

It was about three sisters.  I'm one of three sisters...what's not to like?  The three sisters in this book.  They were particularly immoral and flat as characters go.  Why did I keep reading it?



As Husbands Go by Susan Isaacs**

This was a sort of a murder mystery.  I liked the fast paced narrative, disliked the intermittent crass language.  I am also a sucker for a good murder mystery so I read it. 


Being Polite to Hitler by Robb Foreman Dew**

Along with the other books I read this month, I don't really recommend this book.  August was a sad reading month for me.  This book was, I think, meant to be a look at life in the 1950s and maybe had some feminist message in it or another.  I mostly found it really confusing.  The family relationships were very convoluted and I spent way more time than I should have just trying to figure out who was who.  I didn't like the author's style but was mildly interested in the historical aspect of it and didn't have a stack of more interesting books waiting in the wings, so I read it.

Sad.  I hope I read better books in September.  I'm at the mercy of the Sno-Isle Library system.  (And the Kindle Deal of the Day.)


Here's something that's putting a smile on my face today though:  Braeden and I decided we don't need to wake up as early as we have the last two mornings.  Ten minutes more sleep.  And any time before 6:00 a.m., ten minutes make a huge difference.  At least psychologically.  Of all Braeden's stellar qualities, I think I admire most how quickly he can get ready in the morning.


No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails