Pages

Wednesday, September 7, 2011

First Day of School

Going through the back to school rituals like buying school supplies, picking up schedules, navigating classrooms...it all reminds me of last year at this time.

Last year at this time though, I was a little bit fractured.  I was in mourning and felt like I would fly into a million pieces if I didn't hang on carefully.

Last year at this time was awful.

This year I feel a tiny knot of anxiety because both older children are starting at new schools but I'm also excited to begin school with Mark again.  I love the stretches of uninterrupted Mark time.

After reading some exultant sentiments expressed on facebook about school starting, I wondered if there was an upside for me.  Yes, the house will be quieter and more calm.  But quieter and more calm is highly overrated.  I would rather have my kids home than gone.  Even when they're messy.  Even when they're loud.  Always.

I makes me sad to send them to school.

But is is easier than last year.

And easier is better.

Last night, in order to celebrate the end of summer/first day of school, we went to The Blazing Onion for dinner.  I even decreed there was to be no caffeine consumed in mixing drinks in the amazing Coke fountain machine.

 
I wanted good sleep for my young scholars.

At dinner we talked about our summer and what made it memorable.  Mention was made of the 10k, the triathlon, the 22 mile walk.  We sound a lot more athletic than we really are.  It was a good summer though.  Busy and productive and lazy all at once.  There was a bit of structure and some spontaneous adventures with friends.  Everything a summer should be (except not all that warm).

I am optimistic about the new school year.  Ready for new adventures, new lessons learned and time spent snuggling with Mark under a blanket, reading.

And now for some pictures:

Let me just start by saying early morning seminary is...early.



Really.




But a sister with rock star hair, giddy-first-day-of-seventh-grade excitement and an old referee shirt for pajamas helps brighten the mood.



Emma got all cleaned up:


Complete with enormous backpack:


And she was off...to Hannah's house before heading to the bus stop.

Jill said our lawn is dormant, not dead.  We're going with it!


Sniff.

2 comments:

Jennifer said...

Emma's backpack made me hurt just looking at it. It was huge and she was on her way TO school, right?!! It made me remember when I would haul all of my books home in grade school so I could "play school" ... hmm. If I only knew what was coming. :) Anyway, tell Emma to take it easy on that back! Good luck with school!

Marianne said...

I'm with Jennifer. What is in that thing??? Holy cow!!

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails