Pages

Friday, February 8, 2013

A bright light

Sometimes news weighs me down.  I don't want to hear about another shooter.  I don't want to hear about any more degrading morals or scandals or vitriol controversy.

Sometimes I think about my family, my husband and children, out in the world, and I hope they're safe.  Not just from danger, but from darkness.

Sometimes life seems a little dark.

But there are lights too.

Last night a handful of parents gathered in the choir room at a middle school.  A handful of choir students were there too, along with their choir teacher.  She is a delight.  Her face is always animated; she is ever positive.  She was spending an evening emboldening girls with hesitant eyes and halting voices to sing.

They practiced their songs they'll be performing for a solo ensemble competition.  They faltered at times, a few of the girls never raised their eyes from the floor in front of them.  One girl forgot in her nervousness to start singing and her teacher repeated a measure of piano music over and over, nodding encouragingly until the girl began.

After each girl sang, the teacher raised her hands high above her head and clapped.

In a world with bad news and scary headlines, with people screaming at each other in real life and on Facebook, there are middle school choir teachers.

They are playing their music. They are nodding and reassuring.  They are smiling.  They are clapping with their hands high above their head.

Middle school choir teachers make me feel like we're all going to be OK.


3 comments:

Marianne said...

This is wonderful. I'm going to make sure Clarissa reads it.

Olivia Cobian said...

This is nice.

Sage Grayson said...

Very sweet. I still remember my middle school choir teacher. She made everyone feel special.

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails