Pages

Thursday, February 28, 2013

Just happy

This morning Mark and I are the only ones awake and we are having breakfast on the balcony.  (My boys have always been the early risers.)


Is it just me or should we move here, where you can have breakfast outside at 8:00 a.m. without a shirt on in February?  (I have a shirt on, just Mark doesn't.)

I'm feeling happy this morning and grateful.

Braeden texts me throughout the day.  He gets cranky in one of his classes every day.  He is happy with the play and having fun with his friends and his grandma.  (She kindly sent us a video clip of their performance of a number from the musical for curriculum night.) He doesn't seem to feel too neglected (although I feel bad he's not here).  He is deep voiced and affable and laid back on the phone.  When I talk to him, I'm struck by the fact that he sounds like my brothers.  Exactly.

The first day here we were walking around the resort and decided almost immediately that Emma, rather than I, should be the navigator.  (Who didn't see that coming?)  She is long suffering and points me toward our building when we leave the pool.  She is hard to wake up every morning (in the history of the world, there's never been a more successful sleeper than Emma) but then she's happy to be awake.

She loves the rabbits.

Mark left this note inside the coffee pot.



He is like a Labrador puppy.  Imagine a Labrador puppy in a hotel room.  A Labrador puppy that wants to go to the pool.  I think everyone knows Mark is here.

(I appreciate the heads up though.)

Every day, I'm glad these three are mine.

I'm kind of fond of their dad too.  In fact, I was even willing to step way outside my comfort zone and take my introverted self to a dinner at a fancy restaurant last night with him and some of his coworkers.  I always feel awkward at such times.

I texted my sisters beforehand for some bolstering.  Marianne texted back some encouragement.  (Because she's the oldest sister and knows how it's supposed to work.)  She also mentioned that she and her husband were meeting a group of friends for sushi.

That was a pretty good pep talk, because at least I didn't have to have sushi for dinner.

(The dinner turned out fine...there was caprese salad and chocolate cake, so how could I go wrong?)

Today will be more time at the pool.  I'll read, I'll write.  I'll stare at the blue blue sky.  I'll try to get as much sunshine as I can before I go back under the cloudy skies of Seattle.

Just another day in paradise.



3 comments:

Whitney said...

I went to a work event with Kelly this weekend (Oscar party with other industry people) and I was terrified to talk to people. I don't get how people can walk into a room and talk to people they don't know. Luckily for me his boss's wife was super nice and would make fun of the celebrities with me. Looks like you are having a great trip. And I am glad you didn't have to have sushi.

Olivia Cobian said...

I've lost my cell phone! Sorry I didn't get your text. Sorry you don't like sushi--I was one of those sushi friends. I love it.

I'm glad you weren't topless at your balcony breakfast, and I'm glad Mark is here.

Stephanie L Johnson said...

When will you be back in WA, we have had brief flashes of sunlight, which hurt our eyes, and lots of rain, again.

We will trade places, I will go to the warm and you will come home.

See you on Wednesday, next.

hugs,

stephanie

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails